Been a while... too long. A lot has happened. Too much for me to write about in proper detail.
Asilah - few weekends ago. The weekend I had food poisoning, I was supposed to go to Chefchaouen with a group of international students. So the week afterward, I went with the same group to Asilah. Its still my favorite place in Morocco. We took the train, just like last summer when I went, and we stayed at the same place Friday night that I did last summer.
Saturday was a different story. We went to the beach, but this tie we took a horse cart instead of a taxi, and it was a hell of a lot more fun. We stayed on the beach all Saturday. Our plan all along had been to camp on the beach Saturday night. After dinner, we asked if the owners knew of any place we could camp. They said we could stay in their restaurant, which was a little shack on the beach. All went well, until the Moroccan MPs that were guarding the beach at night began to bug us. Apparently we didn't have the proper paperwork to be staying where we were. The police didn't make us leave, but being bugged by soldiers with loaded automatic weapons was somewhere between stressful and interesting.
The guys we stayed with were really cool. Im friends with a few of them on Facebook now. We stayed up really late, playing guitar and talking with them in Spanish.
Tangier was nice also. I went there with a different group two weeks after Asilah. Definitely had the best medina I have been in, and the beach was pretty nice too, although Asilah had bigger waves. Tangier was more expensive too, although the squid and octopus there was definitely worth the extra couple dollars. I also went into a Moroccan nightclub for the first time. Nothing much to write about there.
Two weeks after Tangier (this weekend), we were going to go to Al Hoceima, a town a little like Asilah on the Mediterranean. Unfortunately, when we got to the bus station in Fes, the bus to Al Hoceima was sold out. So I was here all weekend. Good thing it was a good weekend for watching football.
Other than that, I've spent most of my time on campus. Rugby is going well, and it gives me a good opportunity to practice my French and Arabic. Classes going well, but midterms are coming up...
Asilah - few weekends ago. The weekend I had food poisoning, I was supposed to go to Chefchaouen with a group of international students. So the week afterward, I went with the same group to Asilah. Its still my favorite place in Morocco. We took the train, just like last summer when I went, and we stayed at the same place Friday night that I did last summer.
Saturday was a different story. We went to the beach, but this tie we took a horse cart instead of a taxi, and it was a hell of a lot more fun. We stayed on the beach all Saturday. Our plan all along had been to camp on the beach Saturday night. After dinner, we asked if the owners knew of any place we could camp. They said we could stay in their restaurant, which was a little shack on the beach. All went well, until the Moroccan MPs that were guarding the beach at night began to bug us. Apparently we didn't have the proper paperwork to be staying where we were. The police didn't make us leave, but being bugged by soldiers with loaded automatic weapons was somewhere between stressful and interesting.
The guys we stayed with were really cool. Im friends with a few of them on Facebook now. We stayed up really late, playing guitar and talking with them in Spanish.
Tangier was nice also. I went there with a different group two weeks after Asilah. Definitely had the best medina I have been in, and the beach was pretty nice too, although Asilah had bigger waves. Tangier was more expensive too, although the squid and octopus there was definitely worth the extra couple dollars. I also went into a Moroccan nightclub for the first time. Nothing much to write about there.
Two weeks after Tangier (this weekend), we were going to go to Al Hoceima, a town a little like Asilah on the Mediterranean. Unfortunately, when we got to the bus station in Fes, the bus to Al Hoceima was sold out. So I was here all weekend. Good thing it was a good weekend for watching football.
Other than that, I've spent most of my time on campus. Rugby is going well, and it gives me a good opportunity to practice my French and Arabic. Classes going well, but midterms are coming up...
No comments:
Post a Comment